Friday, August 20, 2010

Don't Turn Around, Uh Oh!

That Nancy Pelosi! You sure have to give the old girl her props.

She's not content just coasting by, limiting her actions to the duties of the job for which she was elected. She wants to do more. Oh, so much more. She wants to investigate me. And you, if you happen to oppose placing a mosque in lower Manhattan.

Let's just put aside for a moment that silly little sentence we like to call The First Amendment found on the wrinkly, old and terribly outdated United States Constitution.

How does she propose to get the information she is after, and what will she then do with it?  I have an inkling she hasn't thought that far ahead. Judging from the following remark, Nancy isn't exactly what you'd call a mental giant:

"I think everybody respects the right of everyone in the country to express their religious beliefs."

I suppose it's possible that I could be wrong. She actually might have gone to everybody in the country and asked them if they respect the right of everyone to express their religious beliefs. 

Only thing is, I don't remember her asking me. In fact, I'm quite certain that she didn't, because I would have told her something a little different. Something more like this:

I am under no obligation to respect your idiotic expression of the irrational, backward, repressive totalitarianism you call your religion. And, by the way, if you are offended that I don't share your euphoria over the thought of cutting out your daughter's clitoris, I don't give a flying shit. Enough is enough.

OK, where was I? Oh yes, the center of worship that simply must be built within a stone's throw of the location of the massacre of thousands by a group of true believers. Surely, I'm not alone in wondering who will be footing the bill for this proposed cultural oasis.

Calls to investigate the funding for those proposing the $100 million "Cordoba House" have fallen on deaf ears, though, as New York's Mayor Mike Bloomberg has described such an investigation as "un-American."

My head is about to explode. Literally.

What the hell, now that it's obviously the inmates who are running the asylum, let's just open up the floodgates and let them all come tumbling out into the light of day.  "Religious leaders" prostrating themselves at the feet of the religion of peace.

"I'm afraid that politicians have gotten hold of this and are using it to pander to extreme voices that are really Islamophobic. The real issues get lost in the battle. I think theologically, there is nothing inside of Christianity that would indicate that we are to treat people of other religions with anything but the utmost respect and friendship."

So, now I'm an extreme voice with an irrational fear of Islam? I don't know. I happen to think that my fear is highly rational. Sorry, lady, your big words don't shame me into cowering silence. I'm a brazen hussy who doesn't share your compulsion to be liked at any cost.

Something tells me that if our government finally succeeds in its quest for ultimate control of our lives, voices like this will be the first to be silenced:



Come on, people. It doesn't have to go like this. We can take things in a new direction. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment