Monday, May 3, 2010

Random Sh*t That Gets My Goat

At the UPS store this morning, I walk in with a package ready to go, aside from the one 12 inch opening on the box. I couldn't find my packing tape, and I was hoping that I could use some of theirs to seal it before shipping it off.  So I  greet the clerk, sweet as you please (really!) and say I have a package to ship and would I be able to use a bit of their tape on it. She says, "Yes. It will be one dollar for the tape." Now, all told, I was going to need maybe 14 inches of tape, so I thought that was kind of a steep mark-up, considering that I could get 150 feet of it for a dollar from the local dollar store. Just to explore the situation a bit further, and still in the pleasant manner with which I interact with all service people, I say "That's a lot to charge for such a small piece of tape." Does she say, "You know what? You're right, I'll give it to you for a quarter." Or even, "Yes, I know, but that's kind of our policy and I have to stick to it." Nope. She gives no response at all. Unless you consider a stare-down as a sort of response. Which, come to think of it, I guess it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment