Friday, July 16, 2010

What Is This Thing Called Love?

I've thought about this in great depth. I've taken into consideration the opinions of others, from ancient philosophers through modern scientists, poets, musicians, wise men and fools. I've even had this guy in my head since the 90's:



Not only is this one of the best songs ever for working out to, it is also currently the 62nd best-selling single of all time in Germany. No small potatoes, that.

Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I hadn't quite nailed it. And then it hit me like a lightening bolt. Man, did I feel stupid. It was right in front of me all along. Of course!

You know you're in the company of your soul mate when you find yourself dancing together like you're suffering from an inner ear disorder and he's trying to keep you upright. Or sitting on a sofa, with your man's arm awkwardly around your shoulder. Or in the back seat of a car, with stiff smiles frozen on your faces. Then there's the obvious, walking on the beach at sunset. I kind of already knew that one.

The thing that really rocked my world was learning that when you find true love, from that moment on, you move in slow motion. But only when you're together. Also, music plays constantly. Even when you are laughing hysterically on a boat. Or on a balcony. I guess the head-rolling laughter is a pretty  integral component of twoo lub. The best part of all, which must be the clincher that you have been blessed by a miracle, is that the two of you are always surrounded by a halo of backlighting.  Amazing, right?

Thanks, eHarmony. You laid it out for me, clear as day. Over and over. On tv. On the radio. On my computer screen. In fact, it's kind of hard to avoid you. Now that I think of it, you're like that guy that stalked me in college. Only, you don't leave love letters and flowers on my windshield. But, there's still time for that. After all, we'll be together forever. Right? Right?

There's just one tiny, little thing. Microscopic, really. It's probably nothing, and maybe I shouldn't even mention it. It's ... well, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment