Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It Don't Matter If You're Black or White





Wait. So, you're telling me that "people of color" is a respectful term and "colored people" is derogatory? Huh. I did not know that.

Sure, I see it now. It's right there, in black and white. Of course! How could I have missed it all this time? Boy, do I feel sheepish.

At first glance it would seem that the words are somewhat similar. But careful scrutiny reveals that there are subtle, yet significant differen-

Oh, no, hold on. They're exactly the same.

OK, let me think about this for a second. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out.

...

Got it! It must be that, when the order of the words is reversed, their definitions change completely. There are many examples of this in the English language.

I wish I could think of some.

Or even just one.

No matter. It's a good thing that the National Association for the Advancement of People of Color is here to show us the way.

What's that? No. Really? Are you sure?

OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment