Saturday, November 6, 2010

We Shall Overcome



Yes, I am an artist. Just like you.

And I think that's where our similarities end.

No, I don't agree with your Marxist world view.  Nor do I believe that "the man" is my enemy.

And yet, here you are, assuming that I will nod enthusiastically while you spout your moronic nonsense.

So, you don't like rich people?  Who do you think is in a position to support the arts, you numbskull?

Surely, it's not your neighbor with 3 kids from 3 different baby-daddies, now living in a run-down apartment with her current man of the month.  You know, the one who makes minimum wage at a low-skill job and with supplemental help from the government (aka tax payers, aka people like myself), barely makes it to the end of the month before her bank account totals $10? The one whose TV spends more quality time with her kids than she does?

Do I really need to point this out to you?

It's those with discretionary income who attend plays and concerts, pay for music and dance lessons for their children, donate money to visual and performing arts programs, who invest in works of art.

And now you're going to patiently explain  how government arts programs help controversial/visionary/new/struggling artists get a foothold. I don't know. Should I even attempt to look like I'm listening to your tired rhetoric? Which you think is completely new to me, and will convince me of the error of my thinking?

You live in a dream world, my dumbass friend. When the government pays for your art, committees of people get to tell you what is acceptable. In other words, they can censor you if your output does not fall in line with their agenda.

But, I have a feeling you're not averse to censorship. As long as the "right" things are censored.

Carry on, then.

Just one last tip. Gluing random objects onto canvas isn't revolutionary.

http://www.machinepolitick.com/?cat=169

2 comments: